The Spiritual Practice of Smoking*
* HBTB does not promote or condone smoking. It is general knowledge that breathing nicotine into your lungs is toxic to your body. This post is designed to focus on what smokers can teach us about the spiritual life.
The Spiritual Practice of Smoking (while not really smoking)
- Smokers listen to their bodies well.
- Smokers know the importance of taking regular breaks from the daily grind.
- Smokers appreciate the calming effect of deep breathing, in and out, in and out.
- Smokers understand the camaraderie of taking breaks with other smokers, sharing the experience of smoking together.
- Smokers enjoy getting away from it all, going outside, and having a moment apart just to tend to their body’s needs.
Next time you find yourself rushing through yet another busy day with your head spinning and time flying by, take your cue from smokers:
take a moment to step outside
experience the community of shared interest and activity
tend to your body, your mind, and your spirit every day
Posted on June 10, 2013, in Community, Physicality, Spiritual Practices, Spirituality and tagged body, Health, Smoking. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.
When I worked at a restaurant, many of my coworkers smoked. I’d join them outside on their break, though I don’t smoke myself. It was always nice to take a minute to relax and talk. We shared jokes and let our worries drift away.
Also, congratulations on purchasing a domain! I just got my own. It’s a big step.
Thanks, William. It is a big step. We are moving up in the world! =)
Pingback: Smoking? | unboundpath