Posted by Laura K. Cavanaugh
- We are available anywhere and everywhere there is internet access.
- We meet people we may never have interacted with otherwise and thus expand our horizons.
- We can focus less on socio-economic status, race, ethnicity, or custom and more on loving relationship.
- We can communicate more readily across language barriers with online translation programs.
- We can “see” and speak with people very far away and feel for a moment that our physical distance cannot diminish our emotional connection.
- We can more readily and naturally take advantage of social media to interact, encourage, educate, and influence ourselves, each other, and those not directly involved in our community.
- We can retain and maintain friendships forged in physical proximity but separated by job, family, or calling.
- We can reconnect with those we may have lost contact with.
- We can better respect and cater to the needs of introverts who thrive in environments that limit the energy needed for social situations and allow for internal processing.
- We can better respect and cater to the needs of shy and socially anxious people as well as people with physical limitations that make physical interaction more difficult.